If you are looking for a web design solution that sits in between amateurish self-made work and the professional high-price designer layout, you can give a look to 99designs.com which offers the opportunity to get your design need crowdsourced out to many interested designers.
How it works:
1) You submit your "design brief" for a logo, business card or web site.
2) You decide how much you want to pay for it.
3) 99designs publishes your project as a call for participation.
4) From that moment on dozen of designers submit their work proposals to get your work.
5) You give feedback to improve the ones you like and you finally chose your preferred one.
6) If you are not satisfied with any of the proposals, you get your money back.
See some examples: http://99designs.com/web-design
Browse open projects: http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests
Find out more here: http://99designs.com/
(Reviewed by Robin Good)